3/27/2013

In Class Speech Work

One of the most fulfilling changes to my therapy format this year has been creating an in-class speech program for most of my students as a supplement to our direct therapy. While my unique school environment made it easier for me to begin this program, I think it could be introduced in a more traditional school environment.

What is an in-class speech program?
  • An opportunity for the student to practice their speech daily in school. Almost every school program has some flexible, independent working time for the students. My students practice  for 5 or 10 minutes during this time. Some of them work on their speech independently and some have gotten their friends involved. Some have even organized daily speech buddies.
What I LOVE about in-class speech works...
  • more opporuntities for the students to review the concepts gone over that week
  • practice in different contexts with different people
  • gets peers and teachers involved
  • work stays at the school (less chance of getting lost in transit)
Okay, Okay, I know what you are all saying...."When am I going to have time to make in-class speech tasks?" But it could be something as simple as reading a book out loud and finding their goal sounds. I like to encourage a lot of creativity and fun. Here are some examples of in-class speech programs we've done this year.
this is a cute R song that a student and her speech buddy wrote

a collection of speech works. I usually make them with the kids during our speech sessions and then send it with them in plastic baggies or envelopes.

this is an awesome rhyming R game

My students keep track of their in-class speech work with a chart like this

here is one that we've been working on for a while

No comments: