5/20/2011

Stuttering Data: Fluency Observation Data Sheets

Fluency data during stuttering therapy is difficult. I have tried a number of ways to track fluent syllables and I needed one that was fast and showed me what kinds of disfluencies were happening. These are a couple of data sheets I put together earlier this year. They are quick, especially once you have all the "codes" memorized. Syllable tracking can be hard, especially when your client talks really fast! Sometimes I have had to ask my students to pause for a minute while I think back about the syllables in a long sentence. I had to do that a lot when I first started. Now I am pretty dang quick and can usually track the syllables as they speak at the normal pace. Ideally you would record a speech sample and pause between the sentences while you take data. And in the ideal world you would transcribe every word in the sample and have an accompanying video recording. But let's be honest, what clinician has the time to record a session and then transcribe the session and then do a syllable count? Not me! Taking data as the session goes is more realistic for those of us with high caseloads and little time. Where time permits I still suggest using a recording device so you can double check your sample.
The gray boxes are for you to tally any syllables said, the white boxes underneath are where you would write a code if there was a disfluency. The codes for the different disfluencies are listed on the bottom of the data sheet. It's kind of hard to explain but look at this example and hopefully it helps.

I made a daily therapy data log that is similar to this full observation sheet. Here it is. I don't love it because it is visually cluttered and I'm slightly OCD but it has worked. I'll have to tweak it for next year I think.
Here's the example of how I used it with one of my students.


15 comments:

Jena said...

Thank you so much for this sample fluency sheet and also the ones for language tracking! While I treat mostly adults, both of your tracking sheets gave me some new ideas for ways to track data with my new geriatric caseload.
Thank you so much!
Jena

Interested in private speech therapy patients?

speech therapy Orange County said...

Speech problems are among the several conditions that individuals experience today. These have also led others to feeling down or having low self-esteem which certainly affects their performances in school, work or in any daily situation. Speech therapies are really very helpful for individual facing such problems and this strategy you have shared will surely make things even better, thank you for posting.

bm5513 said...

How do you download this form? It is great! Can you email it to me please? moriarau@collierschools.com

Heidi Kay said...

Do you have a place to download a black copy of this sheet? I pinned it to pinterest and people have asked...

Carlee said...

I would love a copy I could download I tried printing but it is very blurry. My email is Carlee34@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Can you please email me a copy as well. Love this!

ashton said...

Could you email this to me as well? ashton.donahue@gmail.com THANK YOU!

Mancakes said...

If there is any way you could email your blank copies I would be so appreciative. I have several students with severe fluency disorders.

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Is there any chance you could email (phoenixquinn1@gmail.com) a blank copies of your resources, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm a student who's researching on stammering tracking and it's progress. Is it possible for me to contact you for more information?

Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi, this is a beautiful chart! WOuld you mind emailing me a copy of it? Thanks! speechelligent@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I used to use this form all the time, but I lost it between changing jobs. :( The file isn't working now. Can you email it to me? I would REALLY appreciate it. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I would also love a copy of this chart, as it is not loading properly. Can you Please email a copy to ajackson@chicocountryday.org

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Please sent me a copy: schultz16@live.dk

Unit 58 said...

I also would love to have a blank copy of this chart, I would be greatly appreciative!! brianna.panasiuk@ahs.ca

Thanks so much!